Here you will find answers about the most commonly asked questions when it comes to obtaining your license, taking your tests and beyond

Can I renew my driver's licence or vehicle registration without the paperwork sent out to me by Alberta Registries?

Yes! Please ensure you have your proof of insurance with you to renew your licence plates, and acceptable identification to renew your operator’s licence or identification card.

Do I have to pay an outstanding fine before I can renew my licence?

Yes, all fines on the system must be paid.

If I fail the knowledge test, may I rewrite it the same day?

No, you must wait until the following day to re-write the test.

Why do I need one of my parents to come with me to obtain by ID card or learner's licence if I am under 18?

Generally, persons under 18 do not have sufficient identification for a first time enrolment and have not established accounts to assist in proving residency. Unless the minor person can prove they are self-supporting, a parent or legal guardian must consent to the process authorizing the licence or registration. In fact, a parent/guardian may also withdraw their authorization and have a minor’s licence or registration cancelled.

Do I have to wait a certain period of time after getting my learner's licence to do my road test?

If you are a brand new driver with NO previous driving history you are required to wait 1 full year before you can challenge the driver’s knowledge test and road test. Clients new to Alberta can apply for a shorter term if they can produce proof of having a prior licence in another jurisdiction. GDL Graduated Driver Licensing rules also apply.

Do I have to pay for my learner's licence immediately after passing the Class 7 exam, or can I wait to get it and how long do I have?

After you pass the DKTS (Driver Knowledge Testing System) examination, you have 12 months from the date you passed to obtain your licence.

I've had laser surgery. Do I need to bring you something from my doctor to have the Code A removed from my licence?

We would prefer that you had something from your doctor, however we can perform an eye examination to confirm that you no longer require the Code A requirement.

How much does a learners licence cost?

Current pricing is $17.60 to write the test. Upon successful completion of the test, a 5-year term licence requires an additional fee of $84.45, depending on the licence class and your age. Prices include GST.

I am in Canada and a resident of Alberta on a work or study permit. Can I get an Alberta driver’s licence?

Yes, residency, proof of identification and provision of proof of previous driving history rules apply. Clients in Canada on work or study permit will have their licence term calculated by the expiry date given by Immigration Canada, therefore the term and fees will be adjusted according to the situation. Note, not all countries have a Reciprocal Agreement with Alberta regarding acceptable driver licensing.

I want to write my learners test. What do I need?

If you are under 18, you must bring in your parent or legal guardian to sign the consent form. You also need 2 pieces of ID (one must have your date of birth) and proof of address. If you are under 18 and your parent or guardian has a valid driver licence or ID card, you are not required to show proof of residency.

I want to study for the driver’s examination. Do you have the manuals, and how much do they cost?

Manuals are no longer printed but are available to download from the government of Alberta website for free, or we can print the manual onsite for a fee. Chinese manuals are also available for a fee.

Do you offer driver knowledge examinations in languages other than English?

Yes. You can request to take the computer knowledge test in French, Punjabi, Arabic, Vietnamese, Hindi, Spanish, Chinese and Tagalog.

Do you do driving abstracts and what does it show?

Yes. We process a 3-year, 5-year or 10-year driving record. It will show all moving violations for the period searched and your current demerit points. You may purchase your own abstract for$27.60 providing you produce two pieces of ID and complete the necessary form. You may obtain someone else’s abstract with their permission evidenced by their written, signed consent form REG3394. Download this form through the Service Alberta website.

What type of payment do you accept for registration renewals, driver’s licence or identification card services?

Currently, we accept cash, debit or cheque; we do not accept credit cards. Fines must be paid in cash or debit only.